using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics - Other  (Read 6496 times)
JoeHundredaire
Old One

I had fun once. It was awful.

« on: Tue, 18 Aug 09 14:17:49 »

Alright, jrabbit poked me with a stick one too many times and so we figured out a plan to deal with this. Since he's not into American comics and I don't read outside the big two publishers, I'm going to need some help. Here's a list of everything in Other right now. I need to know what sub-category it should get. Does it belong to a universe of its own? Is it fanfic of a comic where there are other comics in a collective universe? Help me out here, people. Stories will be removed from the list as I go; hopefully we can get the list eliminated and this thread locked in short order.

Fics remaining to be categorised in Comics - Other:
An excessively random encounter
Crimson Shadows
Dark Beginnings
Dark Teacher
Eat Your Veggies
Glass
H.A.W.K. or Heaven’s Angels and the White Knight
I'm Done
Shades of Vengeance
The Darkness Rises
The First Darkness
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 Aug 09 15:19:39 by JoeHundredaire » Logged

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 Aug 09 15:14:08 »

I've identified my own, and as many of the others as I was sure of.

Fics remaining to be categorised in Comics - Other:

A Bunch Of Rocks - XKCD (Web comic)
Stake in the Machine - Girl Genius (Web comic)
A meeting of the minds - Archie Comics I think
Hanging Out With Halo Jones - Ballad of Halo Jones, originally in 2000 AD (British comics)
Betty and Veronica...and Veronica - Archie Comics I think
Big Red and the Big Bad - Hellboy, Dark Horse comics
After - Wildstorm comics, Jenny Sparks / The Authority
Xander Mercenary - the sequel - Shlock Mercenary (Web comic)
For Grud's Sake! - Judge Dredd, originally in 2000 AD (British comics)
Sunnydale Spark - Girl Genius (Web comic)
A Higher Authority - Wildstorm comics, The Authority
Drokk It! - Judge Dredd, originally in 2000 AD (British comics)
Ten For A Bird That's Best To Miss - I think is misplaced, should be Movies / The Crow
Shades of Vengeance - I think is misplaced, should be Comics / Marvel / The Punisher
All Over The World (And Other Stories) - Wildstorm comics, Planetary
Agent 666 - Global Frequency, not sure who publishes it.
Xander Mercenary - Shlock Mercenary (Web comic)
A light in the darkest places - Wildstorm comics, Planetary
Going Global - Global Frequency, not sure who publishes it.
Hellblazing on the Hellmouth - should be Hellblazer in DC / Vertigo if the category existed.
Devil In The Details - Movies, Micky Mouse
True Demons - Wildstorm comics, Planetary
Operation: Sunnydale - BPRD / Hellboy, Dark Horse comics
Memories - Judge Dredd, originally in 2000 AD (British comics)
What's in a Name? - should be Lucifer in DC / Vertigo if the category existed.
In a Vision - Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire (web comic)
Double Life - Miracle Man (AKA Marvelman), Dark Horse
Wish - I've moved it to DC, should be Books of Magic in DC / Vertigo if the category existed.
Jenny the Vampire Slayer - Wildstorm comics, from Jenny Sparks / The Authority

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
jrabbit
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 Aug 09 15:21:23 »

Do you know if any of those (other than 2000 AD) share a universe with each other, or even with other comics we don't have any stories for yet - I think the web comics are fairly safe, but what about Wildstorm / Darkhorse publications.

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 Aug 09 16:05:23 »

Hellboy and BPRD are the same universe, Miracleman is entirely separate

Planetary, The Authority and Jenny Sparks are the same universe.

Global Frequency is apparently also Wildstorm but I don't think it's the same universe - but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 Aug 09 16:07:55 by Marcus Rowland » Logged

Marcus L. Rowland
Malana
Moderators
Master

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 Aug 09 19:32:08 »

Return of the Crazy Neighbor Man- Johnny The Homicidal Maniac
Are You On The Global Frequency

Both should probably have their own sub-categories.

The Glory and the Wrath Invincible Image Comics (an at least somewhat shared universe)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 Aug 09 19:43:20 by Malana » Logged

Al Swearengen: Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back.
-----------------
Manny: Is it hot in space?
Bernard:Of course it is. Where do you think we get pineapples?
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 Aug 09 10:57:28 »

I took a look at the way it's set up now, I think there are now maybe too many subcategories at the top level - e.g. maybe there should be
comics / web, with all of the web comics in it
comics / Wildstorm, with all of the Authority stuff in one lower category, and Global Frequency in another
and so forth

At the moment it looks a bit strange with DC and Marvel in three figures and all of the other new subcategories in single figures. The web comics are going to be a sod to organize if you leave them at top level, there are thousands of the buggers with new ones starting up or folding every day, if there was a general web comic subcategory it would at least be a starting point for anyone posting a new one, better than comics / other.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 Aug 09 10:59:03 by Marcus Rowland » Logged

Marcus L. Rowland
Bushido
Childe

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 Aug 09 11:00:40 »

Perhaps it would be simpler to only assign sub-categories to webcomics that have enough fanfics to need their own category.  The rest could just go into a Webcomics: Other sub-category.

If you give a thousand monkeys a thousand typewriters and let them work for a thousand years, you'll get Shakespeare. If you give one monkey a pen, give him five minutes, and then shoot him, the reflexes of his hand twitching while dying will give you the average yaoi story on Fanfiction.net - Evilshroom
jrabbit
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 Aug 09 19:19:28 »

We are still discussing how we want to sort out DC/Marvel - the current arrangement is just so we know what other fandoms we have to consider.

One idea Joe came up with tonight that looks like it may solve many of the problems was to move DC and Marvel up to top level categories, then put X-men inside marvel, and move all the various Cartoon/Movie versions of DC/Marvel characters into those categories. That would leave what was previously in Comics->Other as the only stories in Comics, but we could also move those in Miscellaneous -> Comic Strips into there giving about 75 stories in total.

I'm testing a new feature at the moment that will allow us to have hyperlinks in one category that take you to another (for anyone familiar with a unix/mac filesystem, think symbolic links). e.g. If all Batman stories are moved under DC->Batman, we can leave links in Movies->Batman and Cartoons->Batman the Animated Series that take you to the DC->Batman page.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 Aug 09 02:51:45 »

That sounds like a VERY good idea. After all, Harry Potter exists as books and films so there's precedent.

Marcus L. Rowland
JoeHundredaire
Old One

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 Aug 09 03:18:45 »

Well, my concern was more that it makes it hard to do COAing properly; I can change a few details and make one fic show up for Best Comic (Spider-Man comics), Best Cartoon (he's had three), or Best Movie (three there, too). That plus we inevitably have people doing general Marvel crossovers which end up in Multiple Crossovers because Comics and X-Men are separate and if it falls into both (like a character meeting the X-Men and then Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four), it must not belong in either one category exclusively. So... solution. ^_^

jrabbit
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 Aug 09 15:32:43 »

You can now preview the proposed new layout on http://www.test.tthfanfic.org.

I'd also like feedback on how the new method of assigning a category to a story when adding/editing it works on the test site.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 Aug 09 16:08:00 »

Seems to work OK - but given you've got movies under Marvel and DC, maybe it should be Marvel Universe and DC Universe rather than Marvel Comics and DC comics?

I like the way you've left a link to Smallville inside the DC category.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 Aug 09 16:11:38 by Marcus Rowland » Logged

Marcus L. Rowland
Ignotus
Childe

Pedantic Obsessive-Compulsive

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 Aug 09 18:26:31 »

I have a question. In the Comics category, there is a Fray subcategory. I'm just wondering but since Fray is part of the Whedonverse at large, would a BTVS/Fray story be considered a crossover?

The Doctor: I don't suppose you've completely ignored my instructions and secretly prepared any Nitro-9, have you?
Ace: What if I had?
The Doctor: And naturally, you wouldn't do anything so insanely dangerous as to carry it around with you, would you?
Ace: Of course not. I'm a good girl and do what I'm told.
The Doctor: Excellent. Blow up that vehicle.
JoeHundredaire
Old One

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 Aug 09 18:50:17 »

We moved it while trying to decide what to do with the other, questionable canon stuff like the pre-S8 comics and the novels and such.

jrabbit
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 Aug 09 08:55:17 »

So, do we now have to rename it 'Disney Universe' ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8230504.stm

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 Aug 09 09:29:57 »

Frack! No more "mature readers" comics then.

Marcus L. Rowland
acs
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 Aug 09 10:48:23 »

Time to add a Spiderman theme park next to Disney World?

And which Marvel character is going to make the first guest appearance on a Disney show?

Does this mean the end of cheezy Disney superhero movies now that they can use the experts?

At least the Buffy comics are still 'free range'....

JoeHundredaire
Old One

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 Aug 09 12:59:59 »

*sighs* You do know that DC is owned by Warner Brothers, right? And when Disney bought ABC, they fired the board, the network's market share went up, and we got shows like Desperate Housewives and Lost? Hell, now that Marvel Animation is going to be a subdivision of a Disney-owned Marvel, imagine what we might get in the way of D2DVD movies. Or even Pixar-Marvel projects. Forget that shittastic MTV crap we got, imagine a fully CGI Spider-Man movie like The Incredibles. Or, since the rights reverted a while ago, the X-Men. Or the Avengers.

neoolong
Childe

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 02:05:37 »

Uh, Fox has the right to make X-Men films in perpetuity, as long as they crank them out.  Which is likely part of the reason why they have X-Men Origins: First Class and Magneto in development, not to mention potential spin-offs with Deadpool and Gambit.

Too bad the rights to Rom the Spaceknight are such a screwup.
JoeHundredaire
Old One

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 02:31:29 »

Actually, Marvel regained the rights. They just have a working agreement with Fox because the movies are so successful and they like money.

ObsidianBlack
Childe

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 11:55:13 »

Disney owns Miramax, which put out such child-UNfriendly fair as 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Kill Bill', amongst other R-Rated films. Through their Touchstone label, they've produced and released 'R' rated films like 'Pretty Woman' and 'Rushmore'.

(Touchstone is not a sub-studio like Miramax. It IS Disney, just used for their more 'mature' efforts.)

Disney also owns and produces, through their Touchstone label, shows like 'Grey's Anatomy' (which features practically nothing BUT people having sex) and 'Desperate Housewives', which is far, FAR more mature than anything Marvel's MAX line has put out.

Why do people think the Marvel universe will suddenly be turned into the Disney Channel? Disney has a long history of programming for various age ranges, adults included.

As long as they leave the comics alone (which all accounts say, they are planning to. Their basic words are 'The people in charge of Marvel now are doing a fine job, and we would not presume to think we could do better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'), then I see no problem with the Disney buyout.

Plus, imagine the crossover potential.

I'd love to see 'The Punisher vs the Disney Channel'. So long as Punisher wins.

*boom* There goes the Jonas Brothers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 Sep 09 12:01:56 by ObsidianBlack » Logged
acs
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 12:04:18 »

Why do people think the Marvel universe will suddenly be turned into the Disney Channel? Disney has a long history of programming for various age ranges, adults included.

As long as they leave the comics alone (which all accounts say, they are planning to. Their basic words are 'The people in charge of Marvel now are doing a fine job, and we would not presume to think we could do better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'), then I see no problem with the Disney buyout.

There is a difference between how business works in the real world and how we as fans and media consumers feel about such things.

If Disney didn't have a reputation (however undeserved or correct) for "sanitizing" adult fair to make it more palatable for the masses and claiming it for their own, no one except for fanatics would care.

ObsidianBlack
Childe

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 12:37:01 »

There is a difference between how business works in the real world and how we as fans and media consumers feel about such things.

If Disney didn't have a reputation (however undeserved or correct) for "sanitizing" adult fair to make it more palatable for the masses and claiming it for their own, no one except for fanatics would care.

Disney has the reputation, but not the actual, real-life history of such behavior.

Look at ABC. It's become increasingly less family-oriented, and developed more diverse and adult-oriented programming the longer Disney has had it.

Do you think pre-Disney ABC would have had shows like 'Lost', 'Desperate Housewives', or 'Grey's Anatomy'?

Disney's 'Reputation' for sanitizing works is largely fiction.

Most of the questionable actions were taken under Eisner's regime, and he is gone now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 Sep 09 13:13:58 by ObsidianBlack » Logged
JoeHundredaire
Old One

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 13:42:45 »

Yeah, like I said, given Marvel Entertainment was trying to build up Marvel Studios and Marvel Animation at the time of the acquisition and those are two areas (live action movies and animation) that Disney and it's subsidiaries excel at, this has the potential to tip the eternally wobbling Marvel vs. DC scale back in Marvel's favor.

justaguy
Master

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 13:52:28 »

Yeah, like I said, given Marvel Entertainment was trying to build up Marvel Studios and Marvel Animation at the time of the acquisition and those are two areas (live action movies and animation) that Disney and it's subsidiaries excel at, this has the potential to tip the eternally wobbling Marvel vs. DC scale back in Marvel's favor.

Which is why they changed their name to "Marvel Entertainment" a few years ago.  The comic book side of the business became secondary to movie and TV side.  

My guess is Disney will treat Marvel much the way Warner Bros treats DC.  As a source of licensed characters to be used and exploited in other media.  The comic books will continue on without much oversight or input.

And given that the current deals will not be signigicantly changed and the long lead times involved we won't start seeing Disney's influence on TV or movie properties for 2-3 years at least.  And as others have pointed out, Disney could actually do good here.  
neoolong
Childe

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 15:28:56 »

Actually, Marvel regained the rights. They just have a working agreement with Fox because the movies are so successful and they like money.

Where'd you hear that from?

"Fox controls "Fantastic Four" in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement."
ElessarNett
Childe

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 15:43:39 »

Disney has the reputation, but not the actual, real-life history of such behavior.

Look at ABC. It's become increasingly less family-oriented, and developed more diverse and adult-oriented programming the longer Disney has had it.

Do you think pre-Disney ABC would have had shows like 'Lost', 'Desperate Housewives', or 'Grey's Anatomy'?

Disney's 'Reputation' for sanitizing works is largely fiction.

Most of the questionable actions were taken under Eisner's regime, and he is gone now.

Actually, as a note, it DOES have a real-life history of such behavior, but has not engaged in such in decades (since Walt Disney's death, basically.)
ObsidianBlack
Childe

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 Sep 09 16:06:08 »

*sighs* You do know that DC is owned by Warner Brothers, right? And when Disney bought ABC, they fired the board, the network's market share went up, and we got shows like Desperate Housewives and Lost? Hell, now that Marvel Animation is going to be a subdivision of a Disney-owned Marvel, imagine what we might get in the way of D2DVD movies. Or even Pixar-Marvel projects. Forget that shittastic MTV crap we got, imagine a fully CGI Spider-Man movie like The Incredibles. Or, since the rights reverted a while ago, the X-Men. Or the Avengers.

A Pixar-made Spider-Man movie would be AWESOME, and the first thing I thought of when I heard this news. Or maybe some property Marvel hasn't done yet. Like Doctor Strange.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

The Pixar\Disney animation execs have talked to Marvel, and apparently they (the Pixar people) had to be calmed down, they got so excited about the prospects.

Something is in the works between the two. I can't wait.
cwolf
Old One

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 Sep 09 07:24:33 »

This was something the creator of somethingpositive.net put up. (hopefully this will work)

To avoid criticism.  Do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
Don Sample
Old One

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 03 Sep 09 12:10:36 »

Another take on it:

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1289.html

Signature?  I don't need no stinkin' signature!
Ignotus
Childe

Pedantic Obsessive-Compulsive

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 03 Sep 09 12:43:04 »

Oh, are we sharing links?

HijiNKS Ensue

The Doctor: I don't suppose you've completely ignored my instructions and secretly prepared any Nitro-9, have you?
Ace: What if I had?
The Doctor: And naturally, you wouldn't do anything so insanely dangerous as to carry it around with you, would you?
Ace: Of course not. I'm a good girl and do what I'm told.
The Doctor: Excellent. Blow up that vehicle.
fluffymuskateer
Donators
Childe

From the stars, knowledge

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 Sep 09 13:32:07 »

Ooh I have one...
http://politicalgraffiti.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/disney_marvel.jpg

"I can field strip a fusion reactor, I can re-align a power transfer tunnel; why can't I make anything work with a woman?" ~ Geordi La Forge

"It's like something out of Fitzgerald, - the man who can have everything but love. Well, maybe in some ways you're better off. Love is... well in a way it's everything. But it's also heartache and disappointment. And those are good things to avoid." ~ Winifred Burkle
ObsidianBlack
Childe

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 Sep 09 17:41:40 »

Might as well get in on this:

Ponder
Childe

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 04 Sep 09 21:32:00 »

A bunch of them in these ongoing threads:  
http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4607791
http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp?contest_id=23840&display=photoshop&page=5000#entries
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 Sep 09 21:35:57 by Ponder » Logged
ObsidianBlack
Childe

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 Sep 09 22:53:49 »

Quesada speaks on Disney/Marvel merger: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22872
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: