using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Survey  (Read 4224 times)
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 11:54:07 »

If you have a phone / PDA / games console / webtv / ebook reader or some other device that uses a low screen resolution to surf the web, can you complete a quick survey at:

http://www.tthfanfic.org/mobilesurvey.php

This will help test how well the site works on such devices. The are 5 pages and it should consume less than 100K of bandwidth - much less if you already have some of the TtH files cached on your device.

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 13:56:28 »

Did this with an HP Jornada 728, which is pretty ancient and has several quirks including a browser which doesn't display whatever graphics format you used for the graphic in the questions about 1000 x 1000 images, didn't display the graphic you used for the second "what colour is this square" question, etc., so the results may be a bit misleading. I think the only graphics format supported is .BMP but I could be wrong.

With the question about three tabs, the second and third tabs were off the screen to the right. Hope this helps.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 14:57:38 »

The first one was a .gif and the 2nd .png. Not supporting png I can understand in an old browser, but lacking gif support is strange.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 15:51:29 »

Search me - basically, it's a crap version of Internet Explorer 3 or 4, not exactly state of the art.

I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt many others using the site have this machine. And sooner or later I plan to install Linux on it, which will hopefully be a rather different ballgame.

Marcus L. Rowland
acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 16:13:13 »

How about an additional question in the survey:

"If your device/browser is usable (not exactly the same thing as 'supports') in landscape AND portrait mode -- which orientation do you read this site in?"

Why? I read TtH on both an iPod touch and iPhone (same version of MobileSafari, same OS (more or less). The only difference is page rendering speed because the touch is 1st gen hardware and the iPhone is 3rd gen hardware).

And in portrait... the default rendering mode shrinks everything so the whole page fits on the screen and I find it almost impossible to read (bad eyes+ tiny font size = headache). So I normally read websites in landscape mode because things are more readable.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 Oct 09 16:20:41 »

The reason that question there is so I know the minimum width of the screen in its widest configuration.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
WildHart
Fledgling

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 Oct 09 03:42:31 »

I answered 'purple' on Question 16 (what color is this square?), but only because there wasn't a more correct answer. I actually saw a purple square inside a blue rectangle. I was using a Samsung Impression in portrait mode.
Hawkehunt
Fledgling

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 Oct 09 05:06:09 »

Q16 came up as a red and a blue square mostly overlapping on a Nokia 6300. I answered purple, which was the colour of the overlapping area, but I suspect they weren't meant to both be partially visible.

Q18 had only tabs two and three selectable.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 Oct 09 05:31:05 »

Q16 came up as a red and a blue square mostly overlapping on a Nokia 6300. I answered purple, which was the colour of the overlapping area, but I suspect they weren't meant to both be partially visible.
That's fine - the purpose was to test the partial transparency of the red graphic over a blue background.

Q18 had only tabs two and three selectable.
Also normal - it was only the layout that was important.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
DeacBlue
Minion

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 Oct 09 13:20:42 »

Zaurus 6000-L, for some reason, the "finish" button wouldn't work.
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 Oct 09 13:51:10 »

That's strange. Apart from the label, its exactly the same as the Next button on every other page. What did happen when you clicked it?

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
DeacBlue
Minion

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 Oct 09 16:51:31 »

The button animation pushed down, and...nothing.  No attempt to send, nothing.  Which is wierd, as the zaurus actually has an Opera browser.
DeacBlue
Minion

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 Oct 09 13:01:02 »

*shrug and assumes his input isn't wanted*
-Methos-
Childe

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 Oct 09 20:07:33 »

just finished the survey myself using a Samsung Omnia...

done twice with IE and Opera...

the only problem i had was neither of them found the correct "centering"... everything else was fine though

i also use a custom cooked firmware version, so don't know how accurate that will be compared to other Omnia users out there

M
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 Oct 09 20:47:33 »

Reminds me to mention I've persuaded someone to do the Linux install for my HP Jornada, hopefully I'll be able to report on that within the next few days, once the flash card gets back to me.

Marcus L. Rowland
Snag
Minion

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 Oct 09 16:10:33 »

On the iPhone, it seems to behave beautifully, especially now that the mouse-over menus respond to the touchscreen as intended now. The only thing I could say about the layout to improve it, is that the resolution is just a skosh too small on the 3GS when the site is in Handheld mode - the Safari window resizes to the borders of the phone, rendering the text size just a little too small for comfortable reading. It's actually easier to read stories in Large Text mode on the site.

"And I had forgotten how enthusiastically a Watcher can go off the deep end."
-Buffy, Recalled to Life, by NWHepcat on LiveJournal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: