using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New version of the site on the test server  (Read 3666 times)
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« on: Sat, 12 Dec 09 17:21:36 »

I've put a new version of the site on http://www.test.tthfanfic.org

A summary of changes is on the homepage. Please take a look around and let me know if anything isn't working.

Specifically:

- Try re-uploading some of your old stories/chapters - particularly those with complex HTML content rather than plain text as the story upload code has been re-written.

- Try using the new 3-level categorisation for challenges.

- If you have a mobile device, is there an improvement in the way the site works?

P.s. If you want to suggest more new features for the site, please start a new topic rather than replying here; the discussions can get into a mess otherwise.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 Dec 09 17:57:22 by jrabbit » Logged

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 Dec 09 19:15:42 »

Seems OK to me - haven't tried the mobile PC features though, my handheld is giving problems.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
Ignotus
Childe

Pedantic Obsessive-Compulsive

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 Dec 09 19:45:38 »

I posted a challenge and a story, everything is testing fine for me so far. And I can finally put in a horizontal bar! I like that we can see how many recommendations we have to give. That makes things much easier to keep track of.

No handheld for me though.

(Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 on Windows 7, AMD Athlon X2)

The Doctor: I don't suppose you've completely ignored my instructions and secretly prepared any Nitro-9, have you?
Ace: What if I had?
The Doctor: And naturally, you wouldn't do anything so insanely dangerous as to carry it around with you, would you?
Ace: Of course not. I'm a good girl and do what I'm told.
The Doctor: Excellent. Blow up that vehicle.
Don Sample
Old One

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 Dec 09 20:34:56 »

I'm not sure if this is a problem, but I noticed when I went back to the first add story page after uploading an HTML file, that an extra space had been inserted at the beginning of each paragraph.  It doesn't show up in the displayed story text, but looking at the page source, it's still there.

Signature?  I don't need no stinkin' signature!
acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 Dec 09 22:21:15 »

- If you have a mobile device, is there an improvement in the way the site works?

Yes. ( iPhone  w/OS 3.1.2) .

Much easier to read/view the site now in Safari (instead of ending up in that view like before that shrunk everything down to near illegibility.) in portrait or lanscape orientation.

Minor issue -- if you are viewing the site in Safari in portrait orientation and you rotate to landscape -- the screen magnification gets messed up. If you double tap the screen it resets to the correct (normal) magnification.

(I just e-mailed screenshots to you demonstrating this.)

(If you start out in landscape, it seems to work fine (though it jumps to larger magnification while loading the site like it does on a rotate, it immediately resets to normal before it finishes.))
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 Dec 09 22:26:47 by acs » Logged

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 08:54:20 »

Acs: The magnification messup is probably an iPhone bug. I specify in the html meta tags that it should display at device width with 1x magnification. I suspect after rotating, the phone is jumping back to its own 'best guess' zoom level and ignoring the magnification setting that was in the page. I presume it's ok after you click on a link and view the next page?

Don: That initial space on paragraphs when uploading from a file has always been there. It doesn't always do it and I've never been able to spot where it comes from.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 Dec 09 09:20:06 by jrabbit » Logged

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Runt
Childe

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 09:23:08 »

I presume it's ok after you click on a link and view the next page?

Yes it resets. (iPod Touch 2G with 3.1.2)

It may just be me being used to reading small font, but the text seems overly large in landscape mode. In portrait mode it is a good size, but looks twice as big in landscape.

The change made that inserts a horizontal bar instead of a line of characters is great as I can view the page as landscape in normal mode on the ipod without needing to zoom the screen to a better width.
acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 11:27:49 »

It may just be me being used to reading small font, but the text seems overly large in landscape mode. In portrait mode it is a good size, but looks twice as big in landscape.

Which makes sense given how Safari on the iPhone determines how to render a page.

For the curious: Apple explains (with example pictures) why this can happen here:
How Safari Infers the Width, Height, and Initial Scale

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 11:35:34 »

I've just changed it to set the height as well as the width. Does that fix it?

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 11:55:32 »

I've just changed it to set the height as well as the width. Does that fix it?

Well, I'm now getting the opposite effect.

Start in portrait, rotate to landscape and it works correctly.
Rotate from portrait to landscape - no problem.
Start in portrait and stay in portrait - no problem.

Start in landscape and stay in landscape - no problem.
Rotate from landscape to portrait -- and only part of the page is visible until I double tap on something.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 12:00:20 »

In the last case, are there still font size issues?

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Runt
Childe

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 12:06:25 »

The font sizes are still the same.
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 Dec 09 15:20:17 »

A late breaking bonus feature - you can now download stories in epub format for e-book readers and iPhones.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Dragonelf
Childe

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 Dec 09 02:41:47 »

Nice to see that my suggestion to display the number of "Recommendations Made" got added to the test site.

By the way, why did the Biography get moved to the top of the profile page?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 Dec 09 02:51:35 by Dragonelf » Logged

James: The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?
Miss Sophie: The same procedure as every year, James!
- Dinner for One

Quote from: jrabbit
I like the concept of Googlefu. The keywords are strong in this one...
tals
Master

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 Dec 09 05:39:16 »

Using the plain text feature, you still end up with lines continuing well beyond the with of the screen.

O'Neill: "'Lose it.' It means, 'Go crazy.' 'Nuts.' 'Insane.' 'Bonzo.' 'No longer in possession of one's faculties.' 'Three fries short of a Happy Meal.' 'Wacko.'"

Buffy: "But there he is, right over the Hellmouth all day every day. It's gotta be like being showered with evil, only from underneath.
Willow: "Not really a shower."
Buffy: "A bidet, then. A bidet of evil."

Sheppard: "This is Sheppard. I appreciate you can't hear me, but I don't have a volleyball to talk to, so what the hell. "

Mal: "This is the Captain... We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbolence and then explode"

My stories at TTH
Nothorse
Fledgling

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 Dec 09 11:31:55 »

First, Thanks for supportig ePub.The support is a bit buggy yet, though.

Stanza on the mac can't read the epub file. I'll have to dig a bit to find out why. I'd also suggest that you seperate the chapters into individual files inside the epub.
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 Dec 09 15:10:58 »

tals: That is intentional. It is meant to be read with word-wrap turned on in a text editor.

Nothorse: I tested it in Firefox, Mobipocket and Adobe Digital Editions. Which particular story didn't work? Also, what is the advantage to using mutliple html files for chapters?

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Runt
Childe

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 Dec 09 21:43:36 »

downloaded Don Sample's test story in e-pub using firefox. could not open with Stanza in windows or on ipod touch. just displays:
Unknown
by Unknown
ap­pli­ca­tion/epub+zip

Nothorse
Fledgling

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 Dec 09 03:41:39 »

Nothorse: I tested it in Firefox, Mobipocket and Adobe Digital Editions. Which particular story didn't work? Also, what is the advantage to using mutliple html files for chapters?

It was "Lines" by FaithUnbreakable. And as Runt posted, Stanza is unable to display it. I haven't found out why yet. As to the breaking into seperate files:
Stanza on the iPhone chokes if the files are too long. I haven't found the exact limit yet, nor whether the Chapters you introduced in the .opf would help, I have just taken the pragmatic way and split up the files.

I've uploaded my dirty hack to drop.io if you'd like to have a look at it. http://drop.io/nothorse/asset/tth2epub-pl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: