using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent site issues  (Read 4303 times)
Booster
Fledgling

« on: Sat, 18 Sep 10 04:51:03 »

I can read all six chapters of Terror Nova currently up easily enough, and the authors panel will let me edit a chapter. However, whenever I click on Add Chapter, I get <b>Either the story does not exist, or the author does not allow additions.</b> Edit Story Details gets <b>The story does not exist, or you do not have permission to edit it.</b>

Confused, and a little panicked here.
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

I had fun once. It was awful.

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 Sep 10 04:55:02 »

There's a greater problem at hand and it's currently at our attention and being looked into.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 Sep 10 07:34:00 »

There was a problem with a corrupt in-memory sql table used for caching user information. I've reset the site and it appears to be working normally now.

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
AwesomeGeek
Fledgling

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:10:45 »

No matter which catergory i go under on my profile, or not even on my profile i get the same message coming up = There are no stories contained in this sub-category.

Is there something going on?

Thank you!
tals
Master

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:17:55 »

Just recently there was a site update, and the site behaved strangely for a couple of minutes. Now, at least for me, it works again...

Tals

Edit:

The whole story view option claims that the story doesn't exist, despite the fact that it showed the first chapter without any issues....

I checked again, the latest page functions well, save for not showing the whole story; going to main categories works, but when trying to access the stories there I get the same message as AwesomeGeek.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:22:23 by tals » Logged

O'Neill: "'Lose it.' It means, 'Go crazy.' 'Nuts.' 'Insane.' 'Bonzo.' 'No longer in possession of one's faculties.' 'Three fries short of a Happy Meal.' 'Wacko.'"

Buffy: "But there he is, right over the Hellmouth all day every day. It's gotta be like being showered with evil, only from underneath.
Willow: "Not really a shower."
Buffy: "A bidet, then. A bidet of evil."

Sheppard: "This is Sheppard. I appreciate you can't hear me, but I don't have a volleyball to talk to, so what the hell. "

Mal: "This is the Captain... We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbolence and then explode"

My stories at TTH
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:27:41 »

I'm seeing the same thing - about the only things working are the latest page and top fic.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
barefootxo
Fledgling

Shoeless One

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:37:50 »

Hey there...

Something funky has occured with my reviews.
For some reason they are all (past and present) listed as anonymous now. When I try to respond to them the site tells me that 'the story is not found'. Something similar happens when I try to figure out who is reccing my story. Help please...  Cry

Jasper

They all want Kyps and marry Jags. That's why I call them Kypocrites.
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

Truth, Justice and Great Writing

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:38:44 »

Apparently there's some serious issues with the site right at the moment...  I have a feeling they're busy trying to figure it all out.  It's not just you.

blue

barefootxo
Fledgling

Shoeless One

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:57:44 »

*smiles*

Glad to hear it... Smiley

I thought I'd screwed something up bad until I started digging deeper... Wink

Jasper

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 10:58:01 »

Everything works fine on my end.

akat
Fledgling

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:02:27 »

I noticed the same thing happened yesterday, too. When this was happening, the site also had the problems mentioned in these threads:

http://forum.tthfanfic.org/index.php?topic=5969.0
http://forum.tthfanfic.org/index.php?topic=5958.0

It fixed itself (or someone fixed it!) after 15-20 minutes.
barefootxo
Fledgling

Shoeless One

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:14:03 »

All seems fixed now on my end... Smiley

~~

edit: Correction... Improved, not fixed yet...

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:18:28 »

Site's in read only.  Might take a while.  I currently see that I'm tracked by -1 people, but I still have all my recs!  So... not 100% normal.  J put a note up on the front page of the site that he's working on things.

Blue

barefootxo
Fledgling

Shoeless One

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:25:32 »

I know... I realised that after I posted the first part of my last comment. That's why I altered it. I wouldn't have even bothered to make a comment otherwise. *shrugs*

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:46:13 »

Been working 100% for me the entire time.

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 11:50:08 »

That's because you're 'speshul', m' dear! ;-)

Blue

tals
Master

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 12:17:27 »

Now that's just bragging.  Wink

O'Neill: "'Lose it.' It means, 'Go crazy.' 'Nuts.' 'Insane.' 'Bonzo.' 'No longer in possession of one's faculties.' 'Three fries short of a Happy Meal.' 'Wacko.'"

Buffy: "But there he is, right over the Hellmouth all day every day. It's gotta be like being showered with evil, only from underneath.
Willow: "Not really a shower."
Buffy: "A bidet, then. A bidet of evil."

Sheppard: "This is Sheppard. I appreciate you can't hear me, but I don't have a volleyball to talk to, so what the hell. "

Mal: "This is the Captain... We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbolence and then explode"

My stories at TTH
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 Sep 10 18:06:55 »

As of right now, the status of the assorted issues is that Jay IS aware of a problem with the server and  has been tinkering with it to try and see if he can solve the problem but some of your problem reporting times don't match up with server-side error periods, so it's to the point where he's not entirely sure what's going on. Compounding that is the fact that it seems to be random errors for different people or, in my case, no errors whatsoever. So bear with us for now and when there's more to share, one of us will let you know.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 Sep 10 02:25:31 »

It's not a problem that people are seeing what appear to be different problems on different parts of the site; they are all symptoms of the same underlying issues. There is a table held in memory that maps user id numbers to names and icons and when this problem occurs any query that uses this table fails. Any query that uses the underlying users table on disk still works, so it looks random which pages work and which fail but it isn't. What I don't know is why the queries to this table started failing in the last 3 days - that part of the code hasn't changed for 4 years! While the effects are quite serious, they are temporary. Restarting the database recreates the table from scratch and it does cause any corruption to the data on disk.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 Sep 10 02:27:46 »

p.s. If it happens again please report it here with the earliest time you saw the problem but there is no need for me too or this is also broken posts unless you have an earlier time.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 Sep 10 18:39:31 »

It now appears that there is a hardware fault on the primary disk. I've moved the database to the secondary one as a precaution. There may be some unannounced downtime soon while the hosting company replace the faulty disk.

I have turned off some non-critical services such as the character scanner and updating of the search index until this is resolved to reduce the writes to the disk.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 Sep 10 19:32:45 by jrabbit » Logged

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Don Sample
Old One

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 Sep 10 02:49:03 »

I don't know if it's related, but I don't seem to be getting email notifications of stories I'm tracking, that have been updated in the last day or so.

Signature?  I don't need no stinkin' signature!
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 Sep 10 04:53:44 »

Oops - forgot to turn those back on when bringing the site back up yesterday. They should come through in the next few minutes.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
angeluscado
Childe

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 26 Sep 10 18:27:20 »

I'm still not getting my email notifications.  I checked both my spam folder and my settings on my profile to make sure that notifications were turned on, and they are.  I noticed it this afternoon when I checked the latest page and found that a review had been left on a story I had posted this afternoon and two stories I have tracked were updated, but I wasn't notified.

I have a "yahoo.ca" email address, if that helps.

Edit: never mind, looks like emails are coming through now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 Sep 10 18:30:00 by angeluscado » Logged
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 26 Sep 10 18:31:11 »

Not sure why, but the messages in my private message box for the forum were truncated.  I only saw a few words of paragraph's long messages.  I know this b/c I had signed up to get them sent to my email address, and I got the whole messages there.  

I don't have a large sample and the last one came through in its entirety (I think), but it didn't come to my email box!  

Blue

XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 Oct 10 01:36:08 »

did the disk change out and os upgrades go in?

Murphy's laws:
1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.

Murphy's law, according to Danial Jackson of stargate sg-1:
1- Murphy's law said: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
2- And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.

one of my favorite fanfic sites Dukedom Fanfiction Forums

my deviantart page, and a shameless halo 4 plug: http://xraiderv1.deviantart.com/gallery/42430828
akat
Fledgling

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 Oct 10 15:06:26 »

I'm encountering the same problems with the site again. I can read a chapter of a story, but when I click on 'whole story' I get a message that the story cannot be found. The statistics page to each story is down, and all the reviewers' usernames have been replaced by 'anonymous reviewer'.

EDIT: And it's fine again!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 Oct 10 15:18:13 by akat » Logged
maltor
Fledgling

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 Oct 10 03:32:53 »

Did email notification get shut down with all the recent reboots?  The last story notification I received was on 10/01/10 at 5:54 pm EST.  Even on the forums, email is a little wonky.  It took 15hrs and about half a dozen requests over that time to get a new activation email sent before I actually got one.
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 Oct 10 20:50:00 »

Now the hit counter isn't moving... on any of the stories...  Not just mine, but anyone's... On the latest page, the stories with zero hits still have zero hits... even after several minutes...  Stories I loaded a little while ago, reload with the same number of hits... even after half an hour...  I've even tried it with popular stories that should have dozens of hits.  Nada.  Rien.  Zilch.

I can't believe that even on a Friday night, no one is hitting on any story.  Something very strange is going on.

Blue

crye 4 me
Fledgling

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 Oct 10 00:55:08 »

Did email notification get shut down with all the recent reboots?  The last story notification I received was on 10/01/10 at 5:54 pm EST.  Even on the forums, email is a little wonky.  It took 15hrs and about half a dozen requests over that time to get a new activation email sent before I actually got one.

I had a similar problem as Maltor. It took 3 days and several requests a day to get my activation code. By now my problem seems to have sorted itself out. Both me and a fellow author friend noticed that on the 5th that we were unable to review stories due to them not being found. All reviewers were anonomous. After about 20 minutes or so it seemed tto resolve itself. Both of us had the same troubles and we live in different parts of the world I live on the west side of Canada, She lives in Belguim. We just want to report it to make sure it helps get resoved. If I remember correctly it was around 2:00 pm Pacific standard time that this happened. Here's hoping that my post helps and here's to helping keep our favorite site as bug free as we can
Idhren
Childe

L.H.O.O.Q.

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 Oct 10 04:51:42 »

Alas! Eheu! Some of my story stats didn't update properly overnight. I posted a new installment yesterday, and I know from my own records that there's been a significant jump in hits, words, and reviews, and none of that is reflected in ze beautiful charts I love to gloat over that adorn the stats page for both my story and author profile. And there's no October 8th--just a skip between 7th and 9th. Did 8th get renamed 9th? Characters by words might be okay--a casual eye ball suggests it adds up properly. (Though I'm much amused that 'Literally' is now a character.)

The story stats page for 'Knight of Faith' can be found here; my author stats here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 Oct 10 05:05:44 by Idhren » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: