using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Fic Sorting  (Read 14539 times)
Coldhands
Childe

« on: Sun, 01 May 11 17:39:27 »

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a sorting feature to the Top Fic list - one that allows you to search by character.
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 May 11 16:39:09 »

So added

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
cousinmary
Childe

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 May 11 17:48:49 »

Awesome, I will totally use this   Grin

When in doubt, go with a pun!
Coldhands
Childe

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 May 11 18:16:22 »

Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou.

I was having the worst time finding certain really good character-centric fanfics and now there's a handy list.  Grin
Aliza Macina
Fledgling

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 May 11 21:00:29 »

I think it's a great feature, but I can't seem to filter to a fandom without choosing a lead character also. It tells me "No stories currently published". Is it supposed to be like this?
Amai
Fledgling

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 May 11 21:04:04 »

So glad for this feature! I don't read Xander centric and it always bothered me that half the best story options were of that type.  Grin
Don Sample
Old One

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 May 11 21:52:23 »

There seems to be a bug.

If you pick a category, leaving the character selection "Any Lead" the list comes up empty.  (And when you go back to "All Categories" it stays empty.)

Signature?  I don't need no stinkin' signature!
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 May 11 01:30:49 »

I'm getting that AFTER using the character sort then returning it to --any lead--. If I don't touch the character sort it's fine.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 May 11 02:32:49 »

That's fixed now.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
ShadeHawk
Fledgling

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 May 11 16:53:41 »

The way it chooses stories based on character is mysterious to me... and it shouldn't.

Take a look for example at recomendations in "Games" category.  If '-- Any Lead__' is selected, then near the top of list is "Mirror Shards" by MavenAlyse.  Now when I switch to lead: Xander it is no longer displayed, even though "Mirror Shards" is described as "Summary: A certain costume choice has long lasting effects on Xander - good thing, too."

With "featuring: Xander" selected at top of list is "A Darkened Outlook" by AnimeRonin (which is below "Mirror Shards" without selecting lead character).  Now comparing those two stories I don't see why one is shown as Xander-Centered and other isn't.  If I remember correctly each story could have "Category: Character-Centered" in its detailed description; now it looks like it vanished with this change.  It is a pity, because even with 'Top Fic by Character' it was an useful feature.

Could we have "Character > Xander-Centered" back?
Coldhands
Childe

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 May 11 18:08:17 »

I can answer why "Mirror Shards" isn't displayed when you switch to Lead-Xander. It's details are "Games > Horror" and "CSI > Multiple Series". Xander-Centered isn't an option in its category(ies).
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 May 11 13:28:56 »

No changes to categories such as "Xander Centered" have been made and it has nothing to do with categories or summaries - it is based purely on the Character Analysis. Criteria for inclusion at the moment is: Character% > log18(Number of Words in fic)

At 25,000 words, that means the story needs to be about 28.5% focused on the character and that story is only 25% Xander. Using this formula, examples of the thresholds required are:

250,000 words = 23.2%
100,000 words = 25%
50,000 words = 26.7%
25,000 words = 28.5%
10,000 words = 31.3%
5,000 words = 33.9%
1,000 word= 41.8%

This means that a character doesn't have to the only lead - for example Defender of the Night makes it onto the Top 25 for both Xander and Buffy as they each have 26% focus and it's over 100,000 words.

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 11 14:17:00 by jrabbit » Logged

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
ShalaDakiri
Master

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 May 11 14:37:04 »

Cool. That answered a question I had before I needed to ask.   Cool

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!"

--Seventh Doctor in "Survival"
cousinmary
Childe

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 May 11 21:14:48 »

I just have to say that I love this new feature   Grin

When in doubt, go with a pun!
mmooch
Master

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 May 11 21:37:57 »

I just have to say that I love this new feature Grin

It's very handy if you prefer to read stories about a certain character - which I suppose is the point.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 Jul 11 08:58:58 by mmooch » Logged
curiouslywombat
Fledgling

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 Jul 11 07:18:02 »

I have a problem - My Dawn-centric Lord of the Rings stories do not appear if I ask it to sort by, for example, "Reccs, Lord of the Rings, Dawn" - stories with no reccs at all make the list, but 'Return of The Key' with 33, or 'Brotherhood' with 15 are nowhere to be seen.

Try 'Most reviews, Lord of the Rings, Dawn' - nope.  Stories with one review are there - but those two, with 148 and 104 respectively don't show.

So what is being used to generate the information?  If it is the 'character analysis' for each story then this is sad - as Dawn uses a translation of her name into Quenya, so is usually referred to as Tindómë, in the later stories and this will stop people finding many of them if they use this really useful feature.  But then in Return of The Key she has 24% on the analysis under 'Dawn' - the highest percentage of any character - and onlyl 12% as Tindómë - so how is the calculation being made?

And what can be done to have these stories show up as they should when people use such a search?   Undecided
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 Jul 11 07:37:00 »

Read a few posts further up for an explanation of the formula. Your story is a few % short of the cut-off at its current length.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

Lives for sex and words...

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 Jul 11 10:07:22 »

By those criteria, a lot of stories centered on a character, but where that character has a strong supporting cast will end up on the dung pile.  That doesn't seem fair.  Many, if not most of the better written stories aren't 'me me me' with the lead character having all the screen time...  I wonder how much of a percent Buffy has in the series...  by the criteria here, I'm not sure she'd meet the criteria.  It seems as if the 'centered on', mostly or purely is weighted on time spent speaking?  By that magic, NO Oz centered story would ever make the cut.  I tried searching by character and found that few of the stories I enjoy show up in any of the categories...

Even where the character is the star of every chapter, if he or she interacts with several people, apparently, the story isn't centric enough.

Most of the stories that mean that criteria seem to be those where there are only two people in the story for long periods of time.  That pretty much means any cross with another show having an ensemble cast, unless it's a 'Super Xander' (where he (unnaturally) gets most of the dialogue) is doomed...  

By the time you add the cast of Buffy and the cast of SG-1... Or you have action of any sort, which by definition usually involves other people...

Oh well.  Just hope we don't lose the "Buffy centered" "Tara centered" category tags... those seem to be the better guide for who the story is actually about.  Of course there aren't "minor character centered" tags for many of those minor characters some of us like...

I read the Tindome/Dawn series and if they were any more about her, there would be space for little else.  They're well written and the universe had been thoroughly drawn, which means... they're apparently not Tindome/Dawn centered enough...  That's just... incomprehensible.

Blue.

I think to make this more useful, the search should take popular stories first, then filtered that for who is the majority character, not some artificial minimum percentage that few well written stories will meet unless they're two or three person stories.

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 Jul 11 10:47:13 »

By those criteria, a lot of stories centered on a character, but where that character has a strong supporting cast will end up on the dung pile.  That doesn't seem fair.  Many, if not most of the better written stories aren't 'me me me' with the lead character having all the screen time...  I wonder how much of a percent Buffy has in the series...  by the criteria here, I'm not sure she'd meet the criteria.  
That's the whole point of these filters - to find the stories that are strongly focused on a character. If we included stories where most of the time was spent on the supporting cast, we would get complaints that the filters find stories that are substantially not about the character they supposedly focus on. Some allowance is made for supporting cast - that is why the threshold requires reduces with story length.

Also, not showing up on a list filtered in one particular way is hardly 'on the dung pile'. There are plenty of other ways to find stories other than the top fic page filtered by character.

It seems as if the 'centered on', mostly or purely is weighted on time spent speaking?  By that magic, NO Oz centered story would ever make the cut.  I tried searching by character and found that few of the stories I enjoy show up in any of the categories...
Speaking doesn't get special weight. If Oz is identified as the subject of enough paragraphs, he will be weighted without saying a word.

Most of the stories that mean that criteria seem to be those where there are only two people in the story for long periods of time.  That pretty much means any cross with another show having an ensemble cast, unless it's a 'Super Xander' (where he (unnaturally) gets most of the dialogue) is doomed...  
I'm not sure the size of the potential cast is a factor. The number of subplots introduced not involving the main character is more relevant.

I read the Tindome/Dawn series and if they were any more about her, there would be space for little else.  They're well written and the universe had been thoroughly drawn, which means... they're apparently not Tindome/Dawn centered enough...  That's just... incomprehensible.
If it weren't for the character having two aliases they would easily make the threshold. The latest one will probably still make it once a few more chapters are posted as thresholds will lower.

I think to make this more useful, the search should take popular stories first, then filtered that for who is the majority character, not some artificial minimum percentage that few well written stories will meet unless they're two or three person stories.
Then it would be more likely to repeat the same stories that you see when not using character filters. It is intentional that the most popular fics on the site that are not single-character focus are not listed. Part of the reason for adding these filters to the top fic pages was to address the often made complaint that the different options just show the same stories in a different order.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

I had fun once. It was awful.

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 Jul 11 02:36:44 »

It seems as if the 'centered on', mostly or purely is weighted on time spent speaking?  By that magic, NO Oz centered story would ever make the cut.
No, what it means is that no poorly written story that neglects descriptive imagery and narrative will ever make the cut. There's more to a story than just dialogue; running a quick dissection of my current project reveals a nearly 20/80 split between dialogue and... well, everything else. As jrabbit said, if you focus on Oz and write well... if you show Oz doing, thinking, reacting, show his perceptions of the world... you'll easily have an 'Oz-centered' story with a large percentage of the pie graph reading 'Oz' as well. The trick is just to write well.

Case in point, someone who reported a 'bug' in the system when in reality it was their own grammar failure that created a bad name association and shifted literally EVERYTHING for one character to sit under another's name.

curiouslywombat
Fledgling

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 07:20:02 »

Read a few posts further up for an explanation of the formula. Your story is a few % short of the cut-off at its current length.

The character analysis actually shows that Dawn, when the two versions of her name are put together, has 36%  of Return of The Key.  As the story is complete then its 'current length' is unlikely to change.

She has 34% of Starlight Bathing, 31% of A Winter Tale, 31% of Stormy Nights in Imladris, 40% of Left Behind, and 31% of For Small Returns.  The other two stories in the series show her with 26 and 27% - the highest by far of any Buffyverse character in them.  As cross-overs they also feature a number of characters from the cross-over fic...

None of these stories show as Dawn-centered in your new sort facility.  I can see that this is very likely to be the case for many cross-over stories (the very thing TtH is meant for)  Wherever any character uses an alias suitable to their new, cross-over world, surroundings they won't show up unless you are able to adapt your system to be able to put in, by hand, the character's alias in their new, cross-over, surroundings, when it is pointed out.  

I can also see it being a problem with any story where Spike is known as 'William' some of the time, or stories  set during the Tabular Rasa period - 'Joan' 'Randy' and 'Umad' may have a chunk of the character analysis.

If you don't add in both known and story-specific aliases then your figures for many categories are going to be skewed - as my example using my own stories shows.

Actually, what happens in first person stories where the narrator is not going to mention their own name much if at all?  

I am ego-centric enough to be upset by the fact that all of these Dawn-centred stories are not showing up in this new search facility - which people obviously do use - I have done so myself.  I have noticed, in fact, that the number of people reading Return of the Key week on week has reduced since you introduced it.

If it isn't going to work properly by using the character analysis pie-charts without modification, perhaps you could consider changing how it works?

curiouslywombat
Fledgling

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 07:29:42 »

The trick is just to write well.

I would humbly suggest that as the first story in the Return of The Key series is a COA award winner, and jrabbit said that "Brotherhood  contains one of the best depictions of dealing with grief that I have read for some time," that actually the quality of the writing is not what is skewing the results.

Speakertocustomers
Fledgling

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 07:36:13 »

My Xander-centric story 'Lonely on the Mountain' shows, in the statistics, that it is focused on Xander only 4% of the time.  That is absolutely not true.  It's First-Person POV.  Xander doesn't show up because he is 'I'.  You simply can't get any more character-focused than a First-Person story and yet the analysis doesn't allow for this.

And don't make any snide remarks about it not being written well enough; it's a double White Knight Award winner.

I have been deterred from posting my long Willow/Spike story 'Angel of the Morning' here because, as it is First Person too, it wouldn't show up on any search for Willow-centric fics unless I rewrote it so that she began every sentence with "I, Willow..."
Speakertocustomers
Fledgling

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 08:00:45 »

And I've just checked the stats for 'Lonely on the Mountain' and noticed something that hadn't struck me before.  The Hits graph rises in a steady diagonal line for the past two years and then suddenly, in May 2011 right when the feature was introduced, flattens off dramatically to absolutely horizontal.  The 'Search by character' feature has stopped any new readers from finding this story and yet, in reality, it's the most Xander-centric story on the entire site.
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 09:38:36 »

The trick is just to write well.
I would humbly suggest that as the first story in the Return of The Key series is a COA award winner, and jrabbit said that "Brotherhood  contains one of the best depictions of dealing with grief that I have read for some time," that actually the quality of the writing is not what is skewing the results.
I would humbly point out that out of my stories, the ones that get the most attention, reviews, and ALL of my COA victories are among the stories I am least enamored with and put the least work into. But beyond that... there is a difference between being popular or interesting, and writing well from a mechanical viewpoint. I think we can all say that JK Rowling is a popular enough author, but her mechanical skills are sorely lacking. One of the failings of the system was already discovered by one author; he posted that his graphs were 'screwy' only to discover...
All due to a missing comma. You have a line "My name is Teal'c Xander Harris." and therefore it assumes you have a character called Teal'c Xander Harris and so assigns all dialogue/actions by those names to Teal'c as it always uses first names for characters where possible.
I believe there's a classic joke about pandas that could also apply here?

And don't make any snide remarks about it not being written well enough; it's a double White Knight Award winner.
Please see above.

My Xander-centric story 'Lonely on the Mountain' shows, in the statistics, that it is focused on Xander only 4% of the time.  That is absolutely not true.  It's First-Person POV.  Xander doesn't show up because he is 'I'.  You simply can't get any more character-focused than a First-Person story and yet the analysis doesn't allow for this.

I have been deterred from posting my long Willow/Spike story 'Angel of the Morning' here because, as it is First Person too, it wouldn't show up on any search for Willow-centric fics unless I rewrote it so that she began every sentence with "I, Willow..."
And your writing preferences are in the minority. Considering that literally everyone can be an "I", there's simply no way (at least that I'm aware of) that jrabbit could adjust the system to compensate for your decision to write in first person rather than the third person format that most people prefer. I mean, unless he can code in a manual override system that we can access and then maybe the moderators can offer a hire-our-time service to sit down and dissect each story in question, manually crunch the numbers, and then enter them into the system.

And I've just checked the stats for 'Lonely on the Mountain' and noticed something that hadn't struck me before.  The Hits graph rises in a steady diagonal line for the past two years and then suddenly, in May 2011 right when the feature was introduced, flattens off dramatically to absolutely horizontal.  The 'Search by character' feature has stopped any new readers from finding this story and yet, in reality, it's the most Xander-centric story on the entire site.
*sighs* Please look at the data between each of the other segments, por favor. You're compared segments that represent six months of data to one that represents a hair over two. If you look at every story that you've had on the site for some time, you'll notice they all match that pattern.

Luna del Cielo
Master

"La Loba"

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 09:40:24 »

I have one story that is in first person and obviously the girl's name only shows up when her name is in a paragraph and she's being described (so her part shows up as less than it should be)...but I'm okay with it. Honestly, I don't think any feature will work for every story. Sure, maybe the stories will not come up in searches but if a person goes to a specific fandom and clicks on 'Willow-centered', etc, they can still find our stories.

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” –E. L. Doctorow

“Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.” –Moliere
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 11:23:10 »

I think you are blowing the importance of this feature for people finding fics out of all proportion. In total the top fan fic page is only resubmitted 90 times a day - i.e. that means one of the drop-down lists is changed 90 times a day, and in many cases its going to be the same person applying multiple filters to get to the list they want, so 90 is an over-estimate. I doubt character specific top fan fic lists are used more than 15-20 times a day.

By comparison, in an average day category browsing pages are used 21,300 times,the latest page 66,200 times, the author's stories page 6,000 times and the search 700 times.

Also, curiouslywombat, your confusing Joe's comments about why a hypothetical "Oz Centered" story would/would not show up as having a high Oz percentage under this analysis with the reasons why your stories are not listed which is nothing to do with quality of writing and simply to do with the fact that at the moment the system doesn't support detecting that characters have alternate names.

For cannon aliases for common characters like William/Spike these are programmed in but there is no facility to add them for story-specific situations.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 Jul 11 11:32:48 »

Hey Jay, what in the header isn't automatically ignored? Meaning is there a way you could deliberately pull a "Teal'c Xander Harris" and do a one-time keyword packing at the beginning of your story to ensure that the story picks up names that are story-unique synonyms for a canon character?

Speakertocustomers
Fledgling

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 03:02:03 »

Perhaps there could be a selection option in Story Details with a drop-down for 'First Person POV: Buffy', 'First Person POV: Willow', 'First Person POV: Xander', and a few others of the primary BtVS/AtS characters.  This would automatically set the Character Analysis to 100% for that character and 0% for everyone else.

And, to prevent abuse, anyone found to have selected that option when it wasn't really a First Person POV story would have the story quarantined as soon as it was discovered.

It's certainly not a common problem, I admit.  In over 150 stories I've used First Person narrative only twice; both times when I was writing a story with a restricted cast and I wanted the focus to be overwhelmingly on one character.  The trouble is that the site feature presents entirely the opposite impression and will lose me some potential readers.

First Person is a much less common narrative choice than Third but there are quite a few significant examples from literature, e.g. Jane Eyre, The Catcher in the Rye, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the Dresden Files books, the wonderful thrillers of Mary Stewart, and several of the rather less wonderful thrillers of Alistair Maclean.  Imagine Huck Finn not showing up in the character analysis of his own adventures, or Charity Selborne being absent from the statistics of Madam, Will You Talk?, or Storm Front being, apparently, devoid of Harry Dresden!

The Sherlock Holmes stories are an oddity in that, although told in First Person narrative from Watson's point of view, the focus is really almost 100% on Holmes.  The site feature would work perfectly on them but they're not the norm.
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 03:55:46 »

The first person POV I use the most is Dexter Morgan, which wouldn't be helped much by that one.

What really would be useful is an option to set aliases for characters. e.g.

"I = Dexter Morgan"

"Kara = Linda = Linda Lee = Supergirl"

and so forth, so that characters with multiple names are handled properly.

Marcus L. Rowland
Speakertocustomers
Fledgling

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 04:13:40 »

The first person POV I use the most is Dexter Morgan, which wouldn't be helped much by that one.

What really would be useful is an option to set aliases for characters. e.g.

"I = Dexter Morgan"

"Kara = Linda = Linda Lee = Supergirl"

and so forth, so that characters with multiple names are handled properly.

"I = Named Character" wouldn't work because 'I' would crop up in a lot of dialogue that was nothing to do with that character.  An option to set aliases for characters, however, would be very useful and would certainly solve the Wombat's problem.
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 06:15:17 »

*snip*
That's an exceedingly large amount of work for the 90 people a day who actually tinker with the top fic page, with those 90 not even being guaranteed to have actually looked for any particular character, just that they modified some sort of sorting filter on said page. Which, furthermore, should be proof to you that the only way you're getting screwed here is that your pretty color pie graphs aren't being sliced up properly, and I doubt many readers go into the statistics pages for fics anyways.

Speakertocustomers
Fledgling

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 07:04:17 »

*snip*
That's an exceedingly large amount of work for the 90 people a day who actually tinker with the top fic page, with those 90 not even being guaranteed to have actually looked for any particular character, just that they modified some sort of sorting filter on said page. Which, furthermore, should be proof to you that the only way you're getting screwed here is that your pretty color pie graphs aren't being sliced up properly, and I doubt many readers go into the statistics pages for fics anyways.

I don't care about the pie charts.  I only care about the Search By Character facility - and, if only 90 people a day actually use it, maybe it's not worth having.  I stopped using it myself when I found that looking for Dawn-centred Lord of the Rings fics doesn't show Curiouslywombat's stories despite them being some of the most popular stories on the site in that category.  To me that invalidates the feature altogether.  Maybe more people would use the facility if it actually worked.
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 08:32:32 »

And it does work. For everyone who writes in third person, which is easily 95% or more of the site. Wombat is also a problem from a minority, albeit one that - unlike yours - might actually be fixable.

And you seem to be misunderstanding. It's not that 90 people a day use the searching by character in Top Fic. 90 people a day touch ANY of the drop downs in Top Fic. Crossover or non, what category, what criteria 'top' is selected from, et cetera. So hey, maybe you're right and it can be removed. Maybe Top Fic can be removed entirely. Smiley
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 Jul 11 08:36:13 by JoeHundredaire » Logged

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 Jul 11 21:00:17 »

Also, for wombat, I'll be experimenting with a way to fix your problem over the next few days. I've been talking with jrabbit and there's no clean or elegant way to do it (either on his end or the author's) but there might be a way to do an ugly brute force solution. Once I've tested my ideas, checked to see if any or all of them work, and run them by my fellow mods to make sure they'd be an acceptable addition to a posted chapter, I'll let you (and of course everyone else) know.

Personally, it's been an interest of mine for a bit now. You've got a relatively minor problem compared to comic book writers, you know. Take the example I offered Jay this afternoon: Power Girl. Power Girl, Kara, Kara Zor-L (not to be confused with Kara Zor-El), Karen, and Karen Starr all apply to one character. Or, if you're doing a story with Hank Pym over the years? You've got Henry, Hank, Henry Pym, Hank Pym, Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and Wasp.

curiouslywombat
Fledgling

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 07 Jul 11 13:39:35 »

Also, for wombat, I'll be experimenting with a way to fix your problem over the next few days. I've been talking with jrabbit and there's no clean or elegant way to do it (either on his end or the author's) but there might be a way to do an ugly brute force solution.

Thank you - I do appreciate it.  And, as it is clearly a bigger problem in the areas you have mentioned, I'm guessing others, both readers and writers in those those genres, will be grateful too.  
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 07 Jul 11 14:35:59 »

It's probably going to come down to appending a set of sentences at the end of a chapter. "There is a character named X Y Z B A F", then start a new line and make another entry for another costume character. So, "There is a character named Power Girl Kara Zor-L Karen Starr." The trick will be figuring out how to properly form the sentence to guarantee the engine grabs hold of that blob of names as a character, like the infamous "Teal'c Xander Harris". Granted, that then shits the bed for if you wanna use Kara Zor-El (Supergirl) in a fic with Power Girl, but if your fic is PG-centric, at least she now registers properly. And that's an existing probably anyways; you couldn't have two Dawns or two Buffys or two Willows because it can't tell them apart for obvious reasons.

I'm going to try it out tonight with a chapter of a new fic of mine that has a genderbending character; (s)he has literally ten different identities that are technically all one character entry (first name, first+last name, nickname, costumed identity, another first, another first+last, another costumed, yet another first, yet another first+last, yet another costumed).

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 07 Jul 11 15:24:30 »

Maybe start the line with a character that isn't normally likely to be the first character of a paragraph, like |. Or invent a special HTML entity for this, e.g. <TTH Character="Linda Lee Kara Zor-El Supergirl">, in the same way that Livejournal has some special formatting entities such as <lj user="xxxxx">.

Marcus L. Rowland
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 07 Jul 11 16:14:11 »

Maybe start the line with a character that isn't normally likely to be the first character of a paragraph, like |. Or invent a special HTML entity for this, e.g. <TTH Character="Linda Lee Kara Zor-El Supergirl">, in the same way that Livejournal has some special formatting entities such as <lj user="xxxxx">.
Well, the latter isn't likely because then we'd not only need to code in a way for the engine to read those and add it to the name recognition algorithms for your fic, but we'd also need to set up a bypass in the function that strips invalid HTML from chapters. Like he said, there's no quick or easy or pretty fix for this. The best I can hope to do for us is tinker until I discover the best brute force workaround and then make sure it's fine with other mods so we don't have people getting the Big Q for spam or excessive author notes or the like.

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 14 Jul 11 13:06:29 »

Hmm... Five Jobs Dawn Summers Didn't Get and One She Did is showing up as 100% no focus. I can see why, 5/6ths of it are letters to Dawn and she has no dialogue, but it's a little annoying.

Marcus L. Rowland
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 15 Jul 11 15:19:13 »

Think of it this way, man. I get over 100 hits on any one of my fics on any given day. Any one fic of mine gets more hits than any Top Fic page beyond the default (meaning any type of sorting criteria change whatsoever). So while there are holes in the system due to writing style quirks, it doesn't actually affect your ability to be found, read, and reviewed, and isn't that why we're all here?

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 15 Jul 11 16:47:15 »

Never mind, it changed anyway - maybe I just looked too soon.

Marcus L. Rowland
curiouslywombat
Fledgling

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 22 Jul 11 15:44:29 »

I'm going to try it out tonight with a chapter of a new fic of mine that has a genderbending character; (s)he has literally ten different identities that are technically all one character entry (first name, first+last name, nickname, costumed identity, another first, another first+last, another costumed, yet another first, yet another first+last, yet another costumed).

How did you get on?  Were you able to figure something out?  (Sorry if you have posted the answer somewhere else on the site - I haven't had a lot of time to visit to read recently.)
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 22 Jul 11 17:11:41 »

How did you get on?  Were you able to figure something out?  (Sorry if you have posted the answer somewhere else on the site - I haven't had a lot of time to visit to read recently.)
No, for some reason, I can't even get it to consistently read the same style of sentence or anything so I'm not having much luck. I mean, if I can't even get it to go "Line 1 is Character X, Line 2 is Character Y, Line 3 is Character Z" it makes it hard to move from that to stringing together names in one spot on Line 1 to be picked up as a "full name".

Although I did learn that the system is incapable of parsing Eastern-style naming with the surname before the given name. "Satsu Tani" followed by "Satsu" later in the story reads as the same character, whereas using "Tani Satsu" and then "Satsu" creates two characters on the graph.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: