using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Twinkies makers bankrupt  (Read 6658 times)
Vidicon666
Childe

« on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 03:53:41 »

Saw this on the news

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-11/twinkie-maker-hostess-brands-files-for-bankruptcy-protection.html

Apparently this has happened before, but has someone written Xander's reaction? Just wondering...

Starbug
Old One

Blues Brother

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 06:47:25 »

but has someone written Xander's reaction?

emw314
Childe

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 07:42:17 »

Be warned: you've been blamed Grin http://www.tthfanfic.org/story.php?no=26815
Vidicon666
Childe

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 08:08:10 »

I shoulder the blame, gladly. I do wonder what the girls got upto to break him out of the spell...
EllandrahSylver
Master

It's all about the law of Equivalent Exchange...

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 08:14:09 »

I shoulder the blame, gladly. I do wonder what the girls got upto to break him out of the spell...

Ditto... *smirks*

I believe in radical honesty. If you ask me a question, I will tell you the truth, whether you like it or not. You have been warned.
cwolf
Old One

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 10:44:27 »

My weird mind went kinky (for Xander, possibly)... somehow.  They wore two-piece swim suits covered in twinkies
acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 12:02:26 »

Don't Panic!

Hostess says they'll keep making twinkles (and Wonder bread, and all those other staples of American life they make)  so there's still plenty of time to stock up for the Twinkie-pocalypse!

No need for a government bailout.

deiticlast
Old One

It's just that easy. . .

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 14:32:29 »

Don't Panic!

Hostess says they'll keep making twinkles (and Wonder bread, and all those other staples of American life they make)  so there's still plenty of time to stock up for the Twinkie-pocalypse!

Hell, as long as they're just handing out the money. . .

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind,
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big gun, I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Slightly Modified Poem By Dr. Seuss
EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 14:32:46 »

Don't Panic!

You know, I'd say I was surprised by this, but I'm really not. Hostess snack cakes cost, on average, about three times what Little Debbie's do, so they don't sell nearly as well. Considering that there's almost no difference in quality, that's a mistake. I grew up on Little Debbie snacks because they could be bought cheaply. For example: twin packs of Little Debbie creme-filled sponge cakes are $.50 USD, while Twinkies, which are exactly the same thing but with the highly recognisable name, are usually $1.09... at least around here...

Bad business planning, that...

I believe in radical honesty. If you ask me a question, I will tell you the truth, whether you like it or not. You have been warned.
JoeB
Old One

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 16:42:31 »

I was lucky, I grew up in an area that Tastycakes were available.  Never really got hooked on Hostess.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably the headlight of an oncoming train.
ShalaDakiri
Master

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 16:53:28 »

Don't Panic!

You know, I'd say I was surprised by this, but I'm really not. Hostess snack cakes cost, on average, about three times what Little Debbie's do, so they don't sell nearly as well. Considering that there's almost no difference in quality, that's a mistake. I grew up on Little Debbie snacks because they could be bought cheaply. For example: twin packs of Little Debbie creme-filled sponge cakes are $.50 USD, while Twinkies, which are exactly the same thing but with the highly recognisable name, are usually $1.09... at least around here...

Yeah, me too.  I like the Little Debbie Nutty Bars.

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!"

--Seventh Doctor in "Survival"
EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 21:17:32 »

Don't Panic!

Yeah, me too.  I like the Little Debbie Nutty Bars.

Yep those are one of my three favorites... alongside Swiss Cake Rolls and Oatmeal Cream Pies. Yum!

acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 21:46:37 »

It's not that Twinkies are better than anything else. Twinkies (Along with Wonderbread) just happen to have a larger cultural footprint. Who doesn't know what a twinkie is? (In the US anyway). I've never seen a 'TastyKake' of any sort in a store or eaten one -- it's a regional item.

And how many urban legends refer to Little Debbie faux-twinkies versus twinkies?

Like this one:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp (Twinkie shelf life)
http://www.snopes.com/legal/twinkie.asp (Twinkie Defense)

And, sure twinkies cost more than Little Debbie snack cakes but that is part of what sets them apart - the national "premium" brand name has some perceived value higher than the "cheap" brand.

Just like with cars.

JoeB
Old One

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 21:49:12 »

Oh ACS, you don't know what you are missing.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably the headlight of an oncoming train.
EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 22:29:44 »

Oh ACS, you don't know what you are missing.

You mean besides my point?

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

Truth, Justice and Great Writing

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 22:31:02 »

I learned on NPR today that twinkies do not dissolve in mountain dew.  According to pepsico, mice do... that's their defence against the guy who swears there was a mouse in his mtn dew...  well, apparently, twinkies are more insoluble than mice!

Blue

SamuraiCatFan
Master

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 22:38:43 »

It's not that Twinkies are better than anything else. Twinkies (Along with Wonderbread) just happen to have a larger cultural footprint. Who doesn't know what a twinkie is? (In the US anyway). I've never seen a 'TastyKake' of any sort in a store or eaten one -- it's a regional item.

And how many urban legends refer to Little Debbie faux-twinkies versus twinkies?

Like this one:

And, sure twinkies cost more than Little Debbie snack cakes but that is part of what sets them apart - the national "premium" brand name has some perceived value higher than the "cheap" brand.

Just like with cars.

Just remember:  In Zombieland, Tallahasee was looking for Twinkies at risk of being eaten by zombies, not Tastycakes or Little Debbies!

"Alright, it's a miracle. Can we go now?"-Vincent Vega, "Pulp Fiction".

"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." -H.P. Lovecraft

"Gosh"-Mayor Richard Wilkins (BTVS)

"And through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning." -from Echoes by Pink Floyd (Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour)

"More than 70 Earths spinnin' about the galaxy and the meek have inherited not a one"-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-"Firefly"
feynstrom
Master

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 Jan 12 23:17:46 »

Just remember:  In Zombieland, Tallahasee was looking for Twinkies at risk of being eaten by zombies, not Tastycakes or Little Debbies!

Also remember: Tallahasee was freaking nuts.
EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 01:26:29 »

I learned on NPR today that twinkies do not dissolve in mountain dew.  According to pepsico, mice do... that's their defence against the guy who swears there was a mouse in his mtn dew...  well, apparently, twinkies are more insoluble than mice!

Blue

On the one hand, this is kinda funny... on the other... EEWWW!

bucksavage
Old One

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 02:11:21 »

Well considering that you can also dissolve a nail in Coca Cola due to the phosphoric acid content, the dissolving of a mouse, while very icky, isn't all that surprising.  Then again....

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 02:46:17 »

Well considering that you can also dissolve a nail in Coca Cola due to the phosphoric acid content, the dissolving of a mouse, while very icky, isn't all that surprising.  Then again....

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Actually, the dissolving a nail thing was debunked on Mythbusters, but yeah... still EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

bucksavage
Old One

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 03:07:04 »

Really?  That's news to me.  I'd have liked to see that episode.  Though, IMO I am pretty sure that if you use a galvanized nail the results would be different than using a non-galvanized one.  Heck, you can use it to dissolve lime scale and stains in a toilet and dissolve caked on crud on the posts of a car battery...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 03:26:38 »

Really?  That's news to me.  I'd have liked to see that episode.  Though, IMO I am pretty sure that if you use a galvanized nail the results would be different than using a non-galvanized one.  Heck, you can use it to dissolve lime scale and stains in a toilet and dissolve caked on crud on the posts of a car battery...

Voila!

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode5

Coke doesn't even kill sperm...

bucksavage
Old One

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 03:30:49 »

LMAO with a heaping side of gah!  

Coke won't kill sperm....how about a Troll hammer?  

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 03:33:19 »

Might be overkill... try Nonoxynol-9... *smirks*

JoeB
Old One

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 06:29:23 »

Like this one:

Just like with cars.

Probably because he has never tasted Tastycakes.

feynstrom
Master

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 06:57:42 »

No, Coke won't kill a Troll hammer either. Wink
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 11:38:50 »

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Actually, the dissolving a nail thing was debunked on Mythbusters, but yeah... still EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm just telling you the 'Mtn Dew defense' as advanced by an actual Pepsico lawyer!  Sodas are pretty nasty.  But so is stomach acid.  But then again, I would never drink stomach acid.

Blue  

cwolf
Old One

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 13:35:14 »

Shh, don't tell me this while I'm drinking Coca-Cola.  I got surprised when I paid 75 cents for 1 can and the machine gave me two.
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 13:55:32 »

Shh, don't tell me this while I'm drinking Coca-Cola.  I got surprised when I paid 75 cents for 1 can and the machine gave me two.

At least you can pretend you're OK.  I actually drink Mountain Dew.  Every day.  Sometimes more than once.  Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Code Red Mountain Dew (when I can get it) are my morning coffee.  (I hate coffee except for Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and since Starbucks, I can't afford Blue Mountain Coffee, not even in Jamaica).  Mmmm Blue Mountains... Blue misses them...

Blue <-- Blue Mountains belong to her.  (Don't tell Portia)

bucksavage
Old One

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 14:40:28 »

Mountain Dew.  I like the stuff, but it'd different in Canada.  We used to have another flavour of it, but that's long sice gone the way of the dodo here, you can only get good ol' regular flavour here, and also by a government regulation, no caffeine in it.  

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 15:26:51 »

Mountain Dew.  I like the stuff, but it'd different in Canada.  We used to have another flavour of it, but that's long sice gone the way of the dodo here, you can only get good ol' regular flavour here, and also by a government regulation, no caffeine in it.  

What's the point of Mtn Dew without the caffeine?  Are they gonna outlaw coffee too?  Remind me never to move to Canada... or I'll have to become a smuggler...  Of course, this from the girl who's seriously considered moving to Canada...  Doesn't coke have caffeine in Canada?

very odd.

acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 16:22:22 »

Really? We've got at least 4 varieties around here, not counting diet - red, blue, white, and regular ( I forget the official names.) All with caffiene.

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 16:31:43 »

Really? We've got at least 4 varieties around here, not counting diet - red, blue, white, and regular ( I forget the official names.) All with caffiene.

Where are you?  

JoeB
Old One

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 17:06:05 »

Have you tried the type with real suger?

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 17:48:38 »

Red is Code Red, blue is Voltage, white is White Out, and regular doesn't have any funky name. (I used to run a gaming organization, and we ALWAYS had 'Gamer Fuel' on hand... *grins* for awhile, Mountain Dew actually marketed a couple of varieties that htey actually called "Game Fuel" that was in WoW-themed boxes, but it was kinda redundant. I don't know if they still have it anywhere, but it's not available around here.

And of course, Mountain Dew Throwback is available in some areas... that's the stuff with real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup...

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 18:10:03 »

Red is Code Red, blue is Voltage, white is White Out, and regular doesn't have any funky name. (I used to run a gaming organization, and we ALWAYS had 'Gamer Fuel' on hand... *grins* for awhile, Mountain Dew actually marketed a couple of varieties that htey actually called "Game Fuel" that was in WoW-themed boxes, but it was kinda redundant. I don't know if they still have it anywhere, but it's not available around here.

And of course, Mountain Dew Throwback is available in some areas... that's the stuff with real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup...

I like the throwback stuff... the regular sweetened stuff doesn't taste any better than the diet, but the throwback with actual genuine sugar?  That tastes *really* good.   But I don't do calorie containing soda as a rule...  just too many empty calories, though studies have shown that diet soda also causes weight gain, though the mechanism is poorly understood.    I'm trying to cut back on all soda.

My favorite is actually code red, but it's hard to find around here, especially the diet version.

acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 18:17:10 »

I haven't seen 'Throwback' yet, but looking here:

http://www.mountaindew.com/#/products/ (Warning Flash heavy site)

I've also had 'Livewire' (Orange) but not 'Baja Blast' (which appears to be a Taco Bell exclusive?)

There was also some flavor I've seen at Halloween but I don't remember what that one is called.

acs
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 18:20:06 »

Where are you?  

Eastern TN. Wal-mart (yes, I'm cheap) carries it though they don't always have it all in stock.

emw314
Childe

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 18:22:22 »

Well, in Australia we have Mountain Dew made with sugar, but no caffeine: standard soft drinks are not allowed to have caffeine *unless* they would naturally have it (ie, cola drinks). We do have caffeinated energy drinks (often with guarana *as well*) not to mention iced coffees with real coffee (yuck to the first, and *yum* to the second.)

You *can* get American Mountain Dew (probably with HFCS and caffeine - I haven't checked) but you have to go to specialty stores, and you pay a premium for them, like about 2-3 times the price of normal soft drinks.

As a side note: would you believe I haven't actually seen a twinkie in the 'flesh'?
SamuraiCatFan
Master

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 19:27:47 »

Like this one:

Just like with cars.

Probably because he has never tasted Tastycakes.

Living well within Tastycake territory, as a matter of personal preference, I also would rather have Tastycakes.  And just remember, everytime the Philadelphia Flyers score a goal, another case of Tastycakes is given away!

"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." -H.P. Lovecraft

A million bright ambassadors of morning." -from Echoes by Pink Floyd (Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour)

"More than 70 Earths spinnin' about the galaxy and the meek have inherited not a one"-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-"Firefly"
SamuraiCatFan
Master

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 19:29:26 »

Well, in Australia we have Mountain Dew made with sugar, but no caffeine: standard soft drinks are not allowed to have caffeine *unless* they would naturally have it (ie, cola drinks). We do have caffeinated energy drinks (often with guarana *as well*) not to mention iced coffees with real coffee (yuck to the first, and *yum* to the second.)

You *can* get American Mountain Dew (probably with HFCS and caffeine - I haven't checked) but you have to go to specialty stores, and you pay a premium for them, like about 2-3 times the price of normal soft drinks.

As a side note: would you believe I haven't actually seen a twinkie in the 'flesh'?

I would just like to see all of the soft drink makers in the USA go back to using sugar cane instead of that corn syrup crap.  Coke Zero, which uses Splenda as a sweetener, tastes more like the old Coke made with sugar cane than the current Coca Cola made with corn syrup!

feynstrom
Master

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 20:20:05 »

I would just like to see all of the soft drink makers in the USA go back to using sugar cane instead of that corn syrup crap.  Coke Zero, which uses Splenda as a sweetener, tastes more like the old Coke made with sugar cane than the current Coca Cola made with corn syrup!
For that you'd first have to find enough congresscritters willing to take one for the team and do away with the farming subsidies and the protective tariffs on sugar imports. Until that time you'll have to get your 'real Coke' fix from your nearest Mexican shop.
EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 20:55:20 »

I haven't seen 'Throwback' yet, but looking here:

http://www.mountaindew.com/#/products/ (Warning Flash heavy site)

I've also had 'Livewire' (Orange) but not 'Baja Blast' (which appears to be a Taco Bell exclusive?)

There was also some flavor I've seen at Halloween but I don't remember what that one is called.

LKivewire is kinda gross, but Baja Blast - which is indeed a Taco Bell exclusive - is pretty good.

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 21:11:58 »

For that you'd first have to find enough congresscritters willing to take one for the team and do away with the farming subsidies and the protective tariffs on sugar imports. Until that time you'll have to get your 'real Coke' fix from your nearest Mexican shop.

Yeah... not likely... unfortunately.

DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 21:28:55 »

I try to avoid ANYTHING sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.  1) I hate the taste 2) it gives me a sugar high (nausea, shakiness...  a kind of rush, but not in a pleasant way), something that normal quantities of sugar doesn't do. what's wrong with real sugar, anyway?

EllandrahSylver
Master

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 21:32:38 »

I try to avoid ANYTHING sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.  1) I hate the taste 2) it gives me a sugar high (nausea, shakiness...  a kind of rush, but not in a pleasant way), something that normal quantities of sugar doesn't do. what's wrong with real sugar, anyway?

Agree with you totally there. I get headaches from the stuff. And unfortunately I'm allergic to most artificial sweeteners, so it's real sugar or honey, or maple syrup, or molasses... pretty much any other kind of sweetening and I'm asking for trouble.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 Jan 12 21:49:06 by EllandrahSylver » Logged

bucksavage
Old One

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 22:30:49 »

What's the point of Mtn Dew without the caffeine?  Are they gonna outlaw coffee too?  Remind me never to move to Canada... or I'll have to become a smuggler...  Of course, this from the girl who's seriously considered moving to Canada...  Doesn't coke have caffeine in Canada?

very odd.

Lots of things have caffeine here, just not most regular soft drinks, but colas, some root beers and Dr Pepper have it in spades, and, if you can find Jolt cola or Jolt's  green guarana laced citrus drink, they are both lambasted with caffeine.  Of course you can also get a variety of energy drinks, Monster, Rockstar, Red Bull, Fury, Amp, Xyence, Beaver Buzz, Cheetah, and several others.  Cheetah, Xyence, Beaver Buzz, Rockstar Juiced and Amp I like but only use sparingly.  Fury gives me bad headaches.  

feynstrom
Master

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 Jan 12 23:07:22 »

what's wrong with real sugar, anyway?
It's expensive, it's not "American", being produced outside US soil (mostly) and it is harder to process. (The syrup is a liquid that can easily be stored in tanks and piped to where it is wanted, much easier than solid sugar.)
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 Jan 12 07:08:56 »

what's wrong with real sugar, anyway?
It's expensive, it's not "American", being produced outside US soil (mostly) and it is harder to process. (The syrup is a liquid that can easily be stored in tanks and piped to where it is wanted, much easier than solid sugar.)
Yeah, I know... it's just that before the politicians got paid off, lots of little third world countries survived by exporting sugar.  Americans got sugar.  Jamaicans got money.  It tasted better and was a little better for you...  It just makes me sad that no one wins but the money people with this... but that's the way it works these days.  The best product is irrelevant.  The cheapest is the only way to go.  Of course, I don't know what I'm expecting.  the only duty of business is to make money.  How dare I forget that providing the service or product the public wants is totally irrelevant?  Stupid me!

Grrr.

Blue
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 Jan 12 07:10:37 by DeepBlueJoy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: