using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Server move - tthfanfic.com to stop working  (Read 16259 times)
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« on: Thu, 12 Apr 12 13:58:57 »

We have been notified by our hosting provider that we will have to change the IP address of our server in the near future. This will mean a (hopefully) short outage whilst the switch-over takes place and DNS propagates. The new IP address will be http://199.101.97.50 and you will be able to access the site on that address as soon as we make the switch if you are stuck waiting for DNS to update.

However, a more long term consequence of this is that all links to tthfanfic.com will cease to work. Since Jinni dropped off the net some years ago, we don't have any means to update the IP address associated with that name. Therefore, if you have any bookmarks or links on the web, such as in your blog or your profile on other Fanfiction sites, that still use the .com suffix, please update them to .org

I'll update this announcement with more details and timings when I have them.
Report to moderator   Logged

TTH Site Coder

"Computers oil the wheels of the handcart in which we are all going to hell"
-- Stephen Fry
Doodle
Fledgling

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 Apr 12 16:16:07 »

Will you be opening a temporary blog or forum for a week before and after the change so that people will still be able to get the new address? Or, is the URL going to stay ' http://www.tthfanfic.org/ ' or is that going to change?
XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 Apr 12 22:30:25 »

yeah.. because....far as I can tell... its been tthfanfic.org for years now.

Murphy's laws:
1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.

Murphy's law, according to Danial Jackson of stargate sg-1:
1- Murphy's law said: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
2- And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.

one of my favorite fanfic sites Dukedom Fanfiction Forums

my deviantart page, and a shameless halo 4 plug: http://xraiderv1.deviantart.com/gallery/42430828
XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 Apr 12 22:31:16 »

.............and that ip address you posted.. refuses to load at the moment

Murphy's laws:

my deviantart page, and a shameless halo 4 plug: http://xraiderv1.deviantart.com/gallery/42430828
deiticlast
Old One

It's just that easy. . .

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 Apr 12 23:26:37 »

.............and that ip address you posted.. refuses to load at the moment
Umm. . . that's probably because there's nothing there at the moment.  The switch-over is a future event, one that has not happened yet.

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind,
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big gun, I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Slightly Modified Poem By Dr. Seuss
Doodle
Fledgling

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 00:33:38 »

So it'll still be ' http://www.tthfanfic.org ' even though the IP Address switched and so the ' http://www.tthfanfic.org ' URL will still work?
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

I had fun once. It was awful.

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 00:53:08 »

Correct. To make a long story short, while Jay was the one who acquired the .org version for us in the past and therefore has the password for it, the woman who bought tthfanfic.com oh so long ago hasn't been seen on the site since November 12, 2007. Understandably, that makes it a bit difficult for us to go "Hey Jen, what's the password for the .com URL so we can update it to point to 199.101.97.50?". Stuff like this is actually the reason we transitioned to .org back when we did; we didn't want to be left scrambling to implement something at the last second if a situation like this arose.

If any of us ever find her again, the .com might someday work again but since it's been four years and counting since her last contact with any of the moderators... yeah. Update your links to use .org. Smiley

XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 12:47:36 »

I dont suppose anyone's tried her FFn page?

Murphy's laws:

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 12:55:24 »

Nothing there since 2007, the last story in the community she ran was added in 2004, the last story in her favourites was published in 2006. I think she simply isn't active in fanfic any more.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
ShalaDakiri
Master

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 14:01:09 »

Maybe sending a PM asking about it?  Even if she's not active, it should go to her email.

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!"

--Seventh Doctor in "Survival"
matthew
Childe

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 14:13:44 »

Maybe sending a PM asking about it?  Even if she's not active, it should go to her email.

If you do, send her our best, eh?
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

Truth, Justice and Great Writing

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 14:17:06 »

I'm sure one of you guys knows her legal name, even if we don't.  Maybe you should try FaceBook.  Even people who don't do a lot of FB tend to have FB pages...  Just a thought.  Seems like it might be good to try get all the keys to the kingdom before the trail gets even colder.  

Blue  

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 16:04:01 »

When a person has made it clear that they no longer want anything to do with you, four and a half years ago even, hunting them down on Facebook or the like verges on stalking. We know her name. I had her previous phone number. She had friends from real life who were active on here. None of those avenues turned out to be useful in the past when we faced far more critical problems. Jinni made the decision to cut herself off from any and every part of this community, from this site to its moderators to her own friends. This announcement is being provided as a courtesy to those who didn't switch over their links several years ago back when we changed our primary domain. Jennifer has no interest in talking with us and therefore we have no interest in stalking and/or harassing her when she's made her stance on this site and its members abundantly clear.

tals
Master

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 16:09:25 »

I just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. I'd long ago reset all my links to .org, but checking again, just to make sure, I realized that I'd forgotten to change the RSS feed for the latest page from .com to .org. Nice to get a chance to fix the problem before it occurs. Cuts down immensely on the cursing and frustration.  Wink

Tals

O'Neill: "'Lose it.' It means, 'Go crazy.' 'Nuts.' 'Insane.' 'Bonzo.' 'No longer in possession of one's faculties.' 'Three fries short of a Happy Meal.' 'Wacko.'"

Buffy: "But there he is, right over the Hellmouth all day every day. It's gotta be like being showered with evil, only from underneath.
Willow: "Not really a shower."
Buffy: "A bidet, then. A bidet of evil."

Sheppard: "This is Sheppard. I appreciate you can't hear me, but I don't have a volleyball to talk to, so what the hell. "

Mal: "This is the Captain... We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbolence and then explode"

My stories at TTH
DeepBlueJoy
Old One

Truth, Justice and Great Writing

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 16:24:39 »

When a person has made it clear that they no longer want anything to do with you, four and a half years ago even, hunting them down on Facebook or the like verges on stalking. We know her name. I had her previous phone number. She had friends from real life who were active on here. None of those avenues turned out to be useful in the past when we faced far more critical problems. Jinni made the decision to cut herself off from any and every part of this community, from this site to its moderators to her own friends. This announcement is being provided as a courtesy to those who didn't switch over their links several years ago back when we changed our primary domain. Jennifer has no interest in talking with us and therefore we have no interest in stalking and/or harassing her when she's made her stance on this site and its members abundantly clear.

And there was no way that I or other relative newcomers could have known ANY of that.  Sad that she made it so messy for you to carry on, but very grateful that you did because this is an amazing venture despite everything.  

Blue

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 16:29:37 »

And there was no way that I or other relative newcomers could have known ANY of that.  Sad that she made it so messy for you to carry on, but very grateful that you did because this is an amazing venture despite everything.
...being told "she hasn't spoken to any of us, mods included, since November 2007" wasn't a hint? O_o

ShalaDakiri
Master

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 16:56:36 »

Ah.  Didn't realize she'd cut off all contact.

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!"

--Seventh Doctor in "Survival"
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 17:15:07 »

Only if you count "doesn't talk to her friends, doesn't respond to emails, changed her phone number and moved" as cutting off all contact... Smiley

XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 18:42:53 »

...being told "she hasn't spoken to any of us, mods included, since November 2007" wasn't a hint? O_o

up until the moment you posted that.. there was no possible way I could have known about that... so...

Murphy's laws:

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 19:23:45 »

up until the moment you posted that.. there was no possible way I could have known about that... so...
My point was more when someone tells you that the person hasn't communicated with the site in four and a half years, "hey go stalk them on Facebook" isn't my... first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth thought. *shrugs* Your mileage may vary.

XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 Apr 12 21:06:13 »

well, now I know, where as I didnt before.

Murphy's laws:

DeacBlue
Minion

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 Apr 12 23:39:22 »

Understand, that I'm simply curious about the person - did she stomp out in a huff, or just "swiftly and silently fade away?"

Either (assuming that a car wreck or the like didn't happen) would indicate someone with, shall we say, negative aspects to their personalities, but the way they left would paint a bigger picture.
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 00:07:16 »

In the interests of not turning this into a "let's bash Jinni" thread, because I know I and at least one or two other moderators who were here with her from the beginning have strong feelings about her actions, I'll simply say that the parting was closer to the latter but because of that fact, probably created more problems for us than the former would have. This being a prime example of it.

At any rate, the server will be getting replaced at 22:00 GMT. That's:
6:00 PM Eastern
5:00 PM Central
4:00 PM Mountain
3:00 PM Pacific

XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 08:37:20 »

well at least now I know what time I can expect to shunt from live web page to html downloaded backup for half an hour to an hour Smiley

thanks for the time scheme translation joe.

Murphy's laws:

JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 12:35:20 »

As stated, if you're desperate for a fix, the IP link will work by five minutes after the transition. No logging in or reviewing or anything, but you will be able to browse the site. Smiley

jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 14:45:20 »

At any rate, the server will be getting replaced at 22:00 GMT.

20:00 GMT

4:00 PM Eastern
3:00 PM Central
2:00 PM Mountain
1:00 PM Pacific

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Doodle
Fledgling

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 14:51:34 »

Why do you have to change your IP Address anyway? What was the hosting providers reason?
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:01:27 »

They have to give the whole block back to the registry due to the issues with running out of IPv4 address space.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Doodle
Fledgling

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:03:29 »

So they ran out of free space and are dropping IP Addresses/Sites? *edited*
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:20:56 by Doodle » Report to moderator   Logged
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:18:34 »

My bad, Jay. And as of now, the site has moved and DNS is updated. I got in fine; your mileage may vary due to ISP issues.

Doodle
Fledgling

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:27:16 »

I just noticed that the site is a little bit faster at loading as well.
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:30:26 »

That will be because there are fewer people on it than usual right now as not everyone's DNS TTL will have expired yet. A trace route to the new address currently goes via the old subnet.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 Apr 12 15:32:25 by jrabbit » Report to moderator   Logged

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 Apr 12 07:17:46 »

We've just discovered that email to some providers is being bounced at the moment as they hosting company had not setup a required record for the new IP address in their DNS. I've raised a ticket to get this sorted. The missing messages should be delivered when this is done.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
XRaiderV1
Childe

autobot at heart

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 Apr 12 19:12:59 »

which services are being effected?

Murphy's laws:

greylight
Childe

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 Apr 12 02:55:53 »

Wow - apparently its been 4 years since I last logged in here because I'm pretty sure Jinni was still around back then!

~Some days I just don't feel like slaying dragons.
              -unknown (random workday sayings)
DeacBlue
Minion

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 May 12 18:57:53 »

*is amazed that she bought fourteen years worth of name registration.
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 May 12 01:58:45 »

*is amazed that she bought fourteen years worth of name registration.
I'm guessing she'd recently renewed when she dropped out, and bought the maximum time period available, there's usually a big discount for that. Or had some sort of automatic payment set up for renewals and forgot to cancel it until now.

Marcus L. Rowland
jrabbit
Administrator
Old One

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 26 May 12 06:56:33 »

We renewed it after she'd gone. The registrars would let us do that but not let us change it.

TTH Site Coder

-- Stephen Fry
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 May 12 08:44:50 »

I think you did say that before, my apologies for forgetting.

Marcus L. Rowland
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: