using
 paypal
Twisting The Hellmouth Crossing Over Awards - Results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Note: Forum accounts are separate to TtH accounts - you need to register separately.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  TtH Home   Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Event Discussion: Foresight  (Read 16816 times)
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

I had fun once. It was awful.

« on: Tue, 04 Dec 12 23:00:37 »

As 2012 comes to a close and a new year approaches, I encourage our authors to look to the future... and where the characters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel: the Series might fit into that future.

Assuming you're one of the people who doesn't ignore the Buffy Season 8/9 comics and their Angel counterparts, the present day in the universe is roughly 2006. For those of us who don't accept the comics, that rolls back to 2004. Either way, you're looking at a significant gap in time between the end of canon and the present. But the point of this event isn't to bridge the gap. No, my brave authors, I am asking you to leap that gap... and return to the world of today.

Almost a decade after the fall of Sunnydale, where are the Scoobies? The core Scoobies and those around them are now in their early thirties or so; a few are a bit younger while others are a bit older. What has become of them in middle age? Are they still together? Are they still on the front lines of the good fight, or have they ceded that to a younger generation while falling back into an advisory capacity? Are they all even still alive? Furthermore... where are the Slayers they have called? Are they depowered as per the end of Season 8's comics, or is there a small army of superpowered girls roaming the world? If it's the former, how have they dealt with their sudden ascension to superhuman status and return to mediocrity? If it's the latter, how is the world dealing with them?

While the primary objective of this site is to encourage crossovers, it is not a requirement for this event. However - and this is important - these stories will not be exempt from Rule 8. If you have a brilliant idea but it's a non-crossover and you don't have the ratio room for it? I suggest writing a new crossover story or posting more of an existing crossover to make room. Because I bet it's a really cool idea and I want to read it... but I can't play favorites. Sorry, folks.

Oh, and one more thing. Nobody's saying you have to go it alone. Grab a few friends and split the story between you; one person can write the brave new world from Satsu's perspective, while another takes Dawn's and another takes Andrew's. I'll be available to help any newer users - or older users who've never touched them before - figure out our special private round robin feature.

There are endless possibilities here. Who's up for exploring them with me?

Not much I can say here that wasn't already stated in the official news post. I just wanted to give everyone somewhere to gather, trade ideas, maybe team up...
Report to moderator   Logged

Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 02:57:09 »

30 is middle-aged? I suspect someone fairly young wrote that bit...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Diana: Warrior Princess
The Original Flatland Role Playing Game
http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 03:21:33 »

Median life expectancy for an American is 78.2, splitting the middle on the five year or so gap between men and women. That would make 39.1 exact literal middle of that median lifespan, and so 31 would fall within the realm of "middle aged" when it's considered as a range rather than a finite age, no?

I wasn't trying to be agist or anything; I'm 28 in March. But the fact of the matter is that by their thirties, most people in first world nations are settling - if not settled - down into careers, families, et cetera.

...for comparison, at the age of 31, people in Swaziland are putting their affairs in order.

crypticmirror
Fledgling

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 10:19:27 »

30 is middle-aged? I suspect someone fairly young wrote that bit...

Agreed, although it could make for an unusually active-paced crossover for Last of the Summer Wine (There's a Vampire in Nora Batty's Airing Cupboard?). Middle aged is commonly held to be starting at 45 and up. 30 might be the end of youth, but it isn't the gateway to being middle-aged, just the prime of adulthood.

When it comes to timelines though, I like to think of Buffy taking place in sort of an ever-rolling "now". I don't think it was ever an intentional period piece to be tied to the turn of the millennium era forevermore. I must admit I tend to skip over future-fics with adult Scoobies. The "what-they-did-next" is just not my bag at all.
CaptBoulanger
Fledgling

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 12:07:01 »

I've delved into this sort of thing before - used an older Dawn in 'The Green Goddess' and 'The Courier' and an older Faith (with cameo by Dawn) in 'Faith Manages', among other examples, most of them unfinished. But I wrote one up early this morning specifically after the challenge was posted - a Faith ficlet called 'Nine and a Half'.

Probably a week's worth of reading there for you already, Joe. (Assuming you haven't already, which you probably have, with the older stuff.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 Dec 12 12:35:27 by CaptBoulanger » Report to moderator   Logged
EnergyBeing
Childe

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 13:43:00 »

Is this a challenge or a proposal for a collaboration?
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 Dec 12 16:29:20 »

Is this a challenge or a proposal for a collaboration?
Both. Either. Neither, if you're crypticmirror. I just thought it'd be interesting to see authors' takes on Scoobies and the Fang Gang a decade after the show ends, rather than the "ever-rolling now". I haven't firmed up my plans for what I'm going to write (assuming I can fix work shit and don't spend the next month buried in HTML code), so I'm not offering a clear collaboration yet. I'm just hoping to take the journey and, given none of the other mods had an idea for a site event in this window, was given permission to ask if anyone else wanted to come along.

EnergyBeing
Childe

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 Dec 12 02:06:20 »

Well, let me know if and when you're ready to collaborate,and I'll give it a go.
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 Dec 12 09:27:38 »

I REALLY wish I wasn't a beta reader for Charles Stross' "Laundry Files" novels, because I'd love to write a BtVS / Laundryverse crossover for this challenge. The snag is that the next book is going to be the Laundryverse take on vampires, and I really doubt that I could write anything without way too many spoilers...

Marcus L. Rowland
Addlcove
Minion

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 Dec 12 15:15:23 »

The snag is that the next book is going to be the Laundryverse take on vampires, and I really doubt that I could write anything without way too many spoilers...

Write it now while you have the ideas, then post it once the book has been published.
cwolf
Old One

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 Dec 12 15:57:26 »

I know a few people who just write for the hell of it and have a few notebooks full of fanfiction in notebooks inside a couple of boxes.

If you have an idea, put it down.  Worry about whether you can show it to people later.
Marcus Rowland
Old One

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 Dec 12 16:11:21 »

I have too much unfinished stuff, and there are some major disconnects between Buffyverse and Laundryverse. Maybe some other crossover for that, and something more compatible for the Buffyverse, if I think of anything.

Marcus L. Rowland
Batzulger
Childe

I am the very model of a modern Major-General

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 Dec 12 13:34:19 »

Joe I have one up for you. Why isn't there an 'Admin Challenge' entry?

SEZ
BZG
SamuraiCatFan
Master

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 Dec 12 20:25:29 »

Really great idea Joe.  Lots of possibilities.   Not sure if I will post something for it, although I have started something.  I am just not sure if time I have available to write will allow me to complete it.  I probably will, it will probably just take a while.

"Alright, it's a miracle. Can we go now?"-Vincent Vega, "Pulp Fiction".

"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." -H.P. Lovecraft

"Gosh"-Mayor Richard Wilkins (BTVS)

"And through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning." -from Echoes by Pink Floyd (Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour)

"More than 70 Earths spinnin' about the galaxy and the meek have inherited not a one"-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-"Firefly"
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 Dec 12 22:47:43 »

I kept meaning to add one but between the holiday havoc and losing my laptop, it slips my mind each time.

deiticlast
Master

She doesn't need a demon to be a Slayer.

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 Dec 12 01:37:59 »

I kept meaning to add one but between the holiday havoc and losing my laptop, it slips my mind each time.
Damn, that sucks.  I thought about getting Lo-Jack for mine and my tablet, but it's like insurance: you hate paying for it when you don't need it, but you kick yourself for not having it when you need it.  I'm still debating. . .

Kaylee: "Going on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!"
Mal: "Oh God!! I can't know that!"
Jayne: "I could stand to hear a little more."

Serenity (2005)
JoeHundredaire
Moderators
Old One

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 Dec 12 10:30:14 »

Damn, that sucks.  I thought about getting Lo-Jack for mine and my tablet, but it's like insurance: you hate paying for it when you don't need it, but you kick yourself for not having it when you need it.  I'm still debating. . .
Oh no, not literal losing. Losing as in I don't have access; I batter the fuck out of it because I have a neuromuscular disorder but I'm also an ADA student whose laptop is part of their "reasonable accommodations" for scholastic matters. Losing my laptop for X days in the middle of a semester means I cannot participate in classes for that length of time, so literally the day of my last final, I stopped in at the Apple Store on the drive home from the test and sent it out for repairs. New case (top and bottom), new logic board (the ports are soldered to it so when I have twitches plugging and unplugging stuff, I do major damage), battery needs to be replaced although that was just age...

Also, Challenge 7320 is now up.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: